Skip to main content

Feminism in my light.

Yes, I am a feminist. A self- proclaimed feminist who enjoys being treated as an equal to the opposite sex. That is the kind of equality I seek as a human being. All I am asking is to be treated in the same manner and not being stereotyped. I do not want to be a part of age old discussions like who is better or there are certain things men can do and women cannot. No. Feminism is not about the generalizations of who can do what. It is about being unable to voice opinions in this suppressed  male patriarchal society. All we want is equal respect as human beings and yes, we are surely not asking for role reversals. And we certainly do not want to generalize men too. I have been friends with males who actually are feminists and do believe that women need to have equal rights. Look around yourself, it is those small daily life instances which will give you a better outlook. Don't follow the herd mentality and consider feminists to be the people who hates the opposite sex. No! Infact the truth is, feminists are the people who respect both the sexes equally and stand up for equality for both. We do not ask for any favors or super added advantage for being a female, that totally defeats the notion of being a feminist. All we ask is to stand equal. Gender equality is a global issue. It is not only prevalent in India, it is everywhere. Male dominance is part and parcel of our existence. I think changes begin right at home. If your behavior and rules as a parent are different for a boy and a girl, you are already conveying an unspoken message to a young girl that yes, you are different. Do not discriminate between sexes. Just respect each other
as humans first, rest will absolutely follow and this needs to be dealt at a very basic level. Our existence in this society as females is in dire need of change and only a female can empower a female. So go ahead and be the change, break the cobweb of stereotypes and be the living proof to make people understand how everybody by their own virtue is different and just because I am tagged as female does not make my incapable or capable of doing certain things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from a diary of an Amateur Doctor.

I was merely 5 years old ... when I incepted the notion that I wanted to become a doctor, I was so mesmerized and fascinated by the profession. In childhood it was a profession that everyone wanted to endure and targeted their aim at. With the steps of every class, for some people that dream faded away.. that image of becoming a doctor diminished.. but I clanged onto it. I always endured and visualized that image of me wearing a white coat with a stethoscope around. This particular profession excited me.. it tempted me..As I grew up my wish to become a doctor morphed into the only passion i wanted to pursue. Eventually I  realized  that the more fascination of this profession seems from outside , triple the amount of effort you need to put to lay down your foundation of becoming one. Nothing.. believe me nothing at all could deter my aim of becoming a doctor. And today I am in a medical college pursuing my dream. A dream that I nourished since my childhood. Commencing my medic

Unconditional Love

A self-less love is an unconditional love. The kind of love our parents shower on us, without any expectations, without any conditions, inhibitions, possessiveness, boundaries. It is the kind of love that flows like energy, an aura that constantly revolves around us. Love is not merely doing things which are expected out of you from the society. It is that stepping stone that lets an individual take a higher road. It lets you love a person without any sort of expectation, looking beyond the imperfections and just loving. As simple as it sounds, it is a difficult thing to master. I think love is a form of meditation, Perhaps that is why it seems like a daunting task to love a person.  We often complain about the people we love, but are we perfect enough to find the flaws in other's? Do we ever self introspect before condemning a person? The answer is NO. We relate people to materialistic things, Maybe that is why it becomes harder to connect to another person and love unco

Enlightenment.

This word has intrigued me for so long. What does it mean anyway? In my quest of finding answers, I encountered a lot of ART OF LIVING workshops, where they read verses from the holy BHAGWAD GEETA and compared that with the practical truth in life. They guide people to live a content life, give a sense of direction if your lost,if your soul is restless. They help you heal from within, well for certain people. But for me, this never attracted me, for me this was not enlightenment somehow. I read about meditation, about how it opens your third eye, how it helps in bringing the light to your darkened diminished soul. But that didn't feel like the enlightenment at all, strangely! Then, as I grew up, I learned about yoga, how it brings a person at peace, yes certainly it does ,but my question still remains unanswered. Did it help me enlighten my soul? I tried taking a Reiki healing course in quest of feeling and experiencing that spark, I thought, my soul longed for. I thoroughly b